In recent times there have been reported incidents of shop awning collapses, in the State of NSW, generally without prior warning and in two (2) cases, the awning collapse led to loss of life.
Where there is loss of life, a coronial inquiry follows and from the findings of the Coroner is such that it is now incumbent upon Councils to conduct a safety audit of shop awnings within their Local Government Area.
Accordingly, it has become the responsibility of many local Councils to raise awareness towards the safety of shop awnings that extend over, or occupy the air space of public land within its area, i.e. the space of the public footpath, through the following measures:
- Confirming responsibility of the building owner to ensure shop awnings are maintained in good order and are of sound condition to sustain their stability under the most adverse of conditions, particularly during high wind conditions and storms; and
- Where the shop awning attached to building premises is more than 10 years in age, it is a requirement of the local Council that you engage a Professional Engineer to inspect the awning for its structural adequacy and is safe and capable of sustaining the most adverse combination of loads.
Silver Wolf Projects Provide the Services of Shop Awning Inspection, Design and Certification:
Silver Wolf Projects has the expertise, qualifications, experience and necessary equipment required to provide the following services:
- Onsite inspection of the subject shop awnings.
- Provision of detailed written reports indicating condition of the awnings and any rectification requirements to meet code and safety standards.
- Written certification of the structural integrity of the awning following any remedial rectification works (if applicable).
- Undertake structural design of new awning or necessary components.
- Preparation of scope of works and specifications to be sent the scopes to tender and administrating the contract of the nominated repairs through to their completion.
- On completion of the above, issuance of the certificate of structural integrity.
Silver Wolf Projects Can Manage Necessary Repair & Upgrade Works to Awning Structures:
Silver Wolf Projects is appropriately licenced and insured to facilitate the management and co-ordination of all necessary upgrade and repair programs to awning structures for the issuance of council and safety certifications.
We have on hand various panel Contractors and trade teams that we work in conjunction with to deliver a smooth and hassle free turn-key solution required in supporitng your specfic awning uprgade & repair process needs.
We also to balustrade, decking and balcony inspection, design and certification.